How to not open dropdown when deselecting option in multiselect?

Hi everyone,
The default behavior of Select2 with a multiselect is to open the dropdown when a selected option is deselected / removed (i.e. by clicking on the “X” next to it). I’d wish to not have the dropdown open when I remove an entry. How do I do that? It would be especially important for me to have this behavior when the last entry is removed, in other words, do not show the dropdown when the select was emptied. But it would be equally fine for me if the dropdown is just never shown when an entry is removed.

Is there any way to do this? I only found this:

Which is both a bit of a different case and also a super hacky solution.

Any help is highly appreciated!

There is no built-in option to change this behavior (although it does seem like a bug). However, there are two Select2 events that should work together to do what you want (but it depends on the order in which these events fire): “select2:unselecting” and “select2:opening”.

If “select2:unselecting” fires before “select2:opening”*, then you would set a global** flag (Boolean-valued variable) in the “select2:unselecting” event handler (indicating that a deselecting event has just occurred) and return true. Then in your “select2:opening” event handler, you’d check the value of this flag. If true, you’d cancel the “select2:opening” event (by returning false from the event handler); otherwise you’d return true to allow the event to proceed. In either case, before returning you’d clear the “deselecting” global flag.

* I believe this is the order these events fire in, based on the example shown in the Select2 Events documentation.
*" “global” in the sense that both event handlers can see the variable.

However, If “select2:opening” fires before “select2:unselecting” you’d have to be a bit more creative. My advice in that case would be to set a timeout for a few milliseconds in the future and then immediately cancel the “select2:opening” event. When your timeout callback runs, it looks for the flag set by the “select2:unselecting” event handler. If the flag is set, the callback just resets the flag and exits; but if the flag is not set, then the callback should progarmmatically open the Select2 (and reset the flag).

Hi,

I have the same problem as you and I am using Select2 4.0.3.
To not show dropdown when pressing on (x) remove option, I have to update select2 JS file by adding “return false;” on click function of ‘.select2-selection__choice__remove’

this.$selection.on(
                                'click',
                                '.select2-selection__choice__remove',
                                function (evt) {
                                    // Ignore the event if it is disabled
                                    if (self.options.get('disabled')) {
                                        return;
                                    }

var $remove = $(this);
                                    var $selection = $remove.parent();

var data = $selection.data('data');

self.trigger('unselect', {
                                        originalEvent: evt,
                                        data: data
                                    });

return false; // This is a new setting to prevent open dropdown list when pressing on remove icon (x)
                                }
                        );

Hope my answer is helpful!
Thanks,